How long should I wait to consume alcohol after taking Flexeril?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Thu, 3 Jan 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I take flexeril at night for my TMJ and neck. My question is if i want to have a drink or two then how long after the last drink should i allow before i take the flexeril? And how long after a doseage of 5mg of flexeril is it safe to have a drink? I also take clonadine as needed for anxiety/blood pressure. Can you take clonadine and drink? Just like to have a couple of causual drinks and want to be safe about it. Thanks for your help! :)
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Moderate interaction.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns. The legal amount of alcohol takes an average of five and a half hours to leave your body but unfourtanetly Flexeril might take 1-3 days for its plasma level to decrease. I would recommend that you avoid or limit the use of alcohol while using Flexeril as using them together may increase the nervous side effects of Flexeril as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion and impaired thinking.

Also using clonidine with Flexeril may cause a moderate interaction between them and lead to increased nervous side effects as well. So, I would recommend that you avoid driving and operating household machines while taking the two together.

Also using clonidine with alcohol may have an additive effect on decreasing your blood pressure.

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 59 minutes later
Its suffcieent answer sir thanks can you also answer how long after drinking before flexeril thank you to be safe
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
5-6 hours

Detailed Answer:

You should take it after 5-6 hours provided you did not exceed the legal amount of alcohol.

I hope I answered your question.

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman, Internal Medicine Specialist