question-icon

How long should Cipro be taken when traces of blood in urine are detected?

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2018
Question: I detected blood in my urine. I take CIPRO 250mg for 10days. There is some trace of blood now. How much longer can I take CIPRO ?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (10 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Did you get a urine test? No more ciprofloxacine

Detailed Answer:

Cipro for 10 days is largely sufficient to treat any infection. If the blood still persists, no more Cipro would change this. I recommend against taking further Cipro.

The most important thing to do is to identify the source of this blood in urine. If we don't do this, we would not know exactly what we are treating. I will request and abdominal ultrasound and always a complete urinalysis and microscopy.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well.

Dr. Ivo Ditah
Dr. Ivo Ditah