• question-icon

How long should Chloramex ophthalmic ointment be used after circumcision?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Men's Health
Question: Good day Dr

I was circumcised a few weeks ago , my dr told me that it would take atleast 6 weeks to fully heal - as of today its 2weeks 4days and im fully healed - he also gave me chloramex ophthalmic ointment to use after 6weeks as per his advice however im fully healed now in 2weeks and 4days: My question is CAN I USE THIS > chloramex ophthalmic ointment sTARTING EARLIER THAN 6 weeks as im already healed with no open Wounds/Stitches as well ?? What is this Ointment for ? Thank you, XXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably as wetting agent

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
It is good news that the wound is completely healed.
The extra skin of the prepuce is excised in the surgery of circumcision hence the exposed part of the glans may get dried up and cause scabbing and such problems.
Any Ophthalmic ointment including the one prescribed for you has the base of a Petroleum jelly and or the light mineral oils. This keeps the wound away from drying up and hence advised to be applied to such areas that can have effects of drying up.
This is the usual reason for applying locally after circumcision. Chloramex Ophthalmic ointment has these contents and anything safe for eyes are the safest to be applied anywhere on the body.
If there is no drying up of the healed area, this may not be necessary.
If there is drying up of the area you may apply now also if the would is completely healed.
I hope this answers your query.
You can certainly get this confirmed by the Surgeon who operated and prescribed you hte ointment.
Please feel free to ask any further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Thank you very much doctor

your answer is loud & clear "-)

is there anything you can recommend either than bio oil for my scar line ?
apparently bio oil is not good
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.
You may please close the query and rate the answer.
..
Very true, mineral oils may not suit every skin but since Any ophthalmic ointment is ready to be used in the eyes which are the most delicate, such preparations can be used anywhere on the body.
You can use pure Vaseline like lip guard, or anything that suits your skin in past.
If there is no encrustation or such problems, you may not use anything at all.
Clean the area with plain water alone.
I hope this answer helps you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon