How long should Ascoril LS be taken for cold and cough?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
I have 2 yr old daughter , giving her ascoril LS syrup for cough and cold ..from last 7 days ... Cough is little improved but not totally fine , still she is having mucus in nose and its running while her head is down for long.. also coughis there at night. My question is how long ascoril can be given to treat cold and cough fully. Or she needs some other medication.??? Please suggest
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue Ascoril LS, giving antiallergic withe decongestant will help

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
Most common cause of cough, cold in this age is some viral infection or allergy.
Sometimes it takes longer for the cough to subside completely. I won't get overly worried as the cough has decreased and if the child is active, playful, feeding well and there is no breathing difficulty.
Here I suggest you to continue Ascoril LS which contains mucus thinning agent and bronchodilator(which prevents airway spasm) for 3-5 more days. It has no significant side effect if given in proper dosage.
I would like to add some combination of antiallergic (chlorpheniramine) with decongestant(phenylephrine) like Timinic or Maxtra for 5-6 days. The usual dose is 5 ml for this age and it can be given two to three times a day.It will help in relieving the nasal congestion, running nose and also cough. As this is a prescription medicine I request you to get it prescribed by a pediatrician.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Wishing for your child's rapid recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 8 hours later
Thanks for the reply doctor. I am giving 3.5 ml of ascoril ls 3 times a day ..is it the correct dose for 2 yr kid weight 11.9 kg ... should I continue the same for more 5 days...with maxtra syrup 5ml ,2 times a day..as u suggested...
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The dosing is right

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Dosing of both Ascoril LS and maxtra are right. You can continue the same.
I hope the symptoms will improve with these medications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 5 days later
Hi Doctor,
I am continuing with 5ml maxtra and 3.5 ml Ascoril syrup from past 5 days as u suggested. Cough is little improved. Frequency is Less but it has not yet subsided. Till now severe cough is there while she is asleep, one or two times mostly and tends to vomit out the food/ milk she had before sleeping She is playful child and no diet changes are observed in past few days.. I am applying Vicks vaporub in her chest and back at night and giving her shower steam as well. Please suggest whether to continue with these medicines??? are they safe to continue for long as it's been 12- 14 days she is taking medicine or shall we change the medication. Plz suggest.

Also earlier I observed cough with phelgm .. But now I think cough is dry cough only...
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can continue maxtra, better to stop Ascoril if cough is not severe

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for follow up

Ascoril LS contains mucus thinning agent and bronchodilator. I would like to stop the Ascoril LS if cough is not severe. There is no significant side effect of both these if given in adequate dose.
You may continue Maxtra for next 5-6 days for better result.
Sometimes cough persists longer even if underlying disease subsides. You need not to worry about that if there is no other symptom and baby is active.

I shall be glad to help further if you need any.
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 20 hours later
Hi doctor ,
Thanks for replying. From yesterday itself her cough has increased .. At night she was coughing a lot and was crying thereafter.. ..now she has mucus in nose and nose was blocked while she was asleep. Sometimes she is sneezing as well. No cold food has been given to her. She usually has 2 to 3 times milk, rest on solids .. Continuing with same ascoril and maxtra.plz help why the symptoms are worsening ..
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please get her evaluated by a pediatrician

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I can understand your concern.As the cough has worsened I would suggest you to get her evaluated by a pediatrician to rule out any congestion.Also get some investigations done like blood test(Complete blood count, C reactive protein)to rule out any underlying infection and may be chest xray after clinical evaluation.
Also she may need antibiotic like azithromycin after consulting your pediatrician.

Please let me know about the further proceedings.
Wishing for your baby's rapid recovery.