How long primolut n can be taken? My friend is

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2018 in Women's Health
Question: How long primolut n can be taken? My friend is using for 3 years as she is suffering from hormonal issues and frequenct menses and now she is relieved after taking 1 pill daily for 21 days in a month. She feels like lacking progesterone any alternative treatments? Please reply.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Surgical options available. Prolonged use possible with due care

Detailed Answer:
Hi Proyankabais2811,
Thank you for using health care magic. I have read your query &understand your concern.
* Primolut n is a synthetic hormone having norethesterone which is similar to female hormone progesterone. In body it is converted to oestrogen.It's content & dosage mimic natural hormonal pattern in menstrual cycle&so it is mostly well tolerated &widely used to control menstrual irregularities that are not controlled with routine regieme(cyclical dosage for 3-6 months)& can be taken over a long period.
* Most of the times the menstrual cycle gets corrected after taking the cyclical pills for 6 cycles ... so the drug can be withdrawn. Similarly your friend can try with stopping the drug &see the effect(in consultation of her treating gynecologist )
* In case of your friend... if it is Endometriosis..(as a cause of her irregular cycles) she can use surgical option to remove the excess endometrial tissue by laparoscopic surgery & get relieved.
* Hysterectomy is a other option for the drug... in case the menstrual cycle is not controlled without the pills & a contraindication for the drug appears .
Surgical management to be decided by treating gynecologist after considering patients health&advantage gained .
**In case she gets recurrance after withdrawing the pill....there is no other oral alternative to the Primolut n. other than changing over to other contraceptive pill.
** But in that case she has to be careful to note following conditions...which are contraindications to the drug & be in regular touch with the treating gynecologist for the same.
-pre-pregnancy &breast feeding.
- liver,respiratory or kidney disease
- Risk of blood clotting increases with the drug... so it needs to be stopped in conditions like (leg vein problems/pulmonary thrombosis angina or stroke)
- There is increased risk of blood clots in old age/smoking
*** Thus your friend can either withdraw the to see disappearance of symptoms/ get investigated for endometriosis &try laproscopic surgical option/ get rid of the problem with hysterectomy OR continue it with careful vigilance for contraindications
I hope that answers your query.Any follow up query is welcome
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy