How long one should continue taking Zocon 150 per day ?

Dr. Som Biswas

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My wife has been having been severe vaginal itching since last 6 months, She also had itchy rashes on her arms and legs. She is also diabetic. Doctors attributed the itchy rashes to fungal infection and prescribed Zocon 150 per say in the last week of May 2014. She started taking Zocon 150 once daily and continues to take them even now. Although most of the rashes on the arms and legs disappeared after about two months (although some rashes in less severe form appear and disappear) the viginal itching continues in less virulent form. How long should she continue taking Zocon 150 per day ? Is there any need to increase/decrease the dose? So far there has been no visible side effect. Kindly advise.
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop Zocon now

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

1) Zocon 150 is not supposed to be taken for so long.

She should stop it from now.

Not all side effects are visible. Any drug taken for long can damage kidneys which is not visible.

Please stop the drug.

She can apply antifungal creams but the main thing is to control her diabetes.

If her diabetes is controlled she will not get fungal infection and if it is not then she will keep getting it again and again.
Follow up: Dr. Som Biswas 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,

Two questions, please:

1. If Zocon 150 is unavoidable for some more time, given the fact that fungal infections do not go away easily and come back in more virulent form if medicine is suddenly discontinued before the infection has completely gone, would it not be advisable to reduce the frequency to twice a week and then follow up with kidney function test after say a fortnight? Incidentally her diabetes is not high and is already under control.

2, Please suggest an effective anti-fungal cream

Thanks
Brief Answer:
HI

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXX,

1) Yes reduce dosage and then stop.

If her diabetes is not high then her infection should go unless there is an additional organism (fungi or bacteria ) super- added to it.

Repeat a culture sensitivity report and let me know.

2) Good anti Fungal cream is clotrimazole + betamethasole OR Candid B