question-icon

How long one has to wait for knee replacement after getting a metal implant in femur?

Posted on Mon, 16 May 2016
Question: Had surgery to my femur bone, they put metal rod in bone. This was 2 months ago. Yesterday doc said I could start walking on it. How long do I have to wait before I could get a knee replacement in my other leg?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Wait for at least 4 months.

Detailed Answer:
Getting a metal rod implant in the femur and a knee replacement both are major surgeries that need a bed rest of 6-8 weeks. Now that you have started walking it is best to wait for at least 4 months before you plan for another major surgery so that your leg muscles gain adequate strength and tone.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon