How long it takes Prednisone to ease asthma problems?

Posted on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: HOW LONG BEFORE PREDNISONE KICKS IN TO EASE ASTHMA SHORTNESS OF BREATH?
Answered by Dr. Parin N. Parmar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
usually within 48 hours, maximum 7-10 days

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam,

Thank you for asking at HCM.

Effect of prednisone depends on many factors like -

a. How early it was started in an asthma attack (the early it started, the rapid the response)

b. Severity of asthma episode

c. Any concurrent medications affecting action of corticosteroids/other asthma medications

d. Any concurrent medical condition (associated sinusitis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, chronic obstructive lung disease, etc)

e. Dose of prednisolone

In general, the beneficial effects of prednisolone start appearing within first 24 hours of beginning. However, in case of prolonged, severe airflow obstruction, it may take upto 7-10 days to see full beneficial effects.

If beneficial effects of prednisolone are not clearly evident in first 48 hours, I personally suggest my patient to be evaluated again by treating physician.

Hope above answer helps you and solves your query.

Should you have any further query, please feel to ask on follow-up.

Wish you the best of the health.

Thank you & Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Parin N. Parmar

Allergist and Immunologist