How long is recovery time from a lower intestinal blockage?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I want to follow up on my questions that are now closed - but the issue will take some time to resolve - and hopefully completely resolve itself.
I am on the mend from a lower intestinal blockage that had me in the hospital April 28th - April 30th - i am seemingly improving but last night i had to take a Ducolax - and this seemed to help - good bowel movements but still not quite normal - still very distended - is it true the recovery will be a bit up and down and also is it true the distension will be the last to resolve itself? What should i be eating - still feel a bit bloated immediately after eating?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Recovery takes time

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Yes, it does take a bit of time before you feel completely normal. Based on your history and the previous interactions , I would advise that you continue a pro kinetic agent like tegaserod or metoclopramide along with bulk forming agents such as psyllium for at least a month. Many patients use these medication in an on/off manner which is not the ideal way. There should be some bowel movement continuously to relieve the distention that you are facing. The distention of the abdomen would indicate that you aren't emptying your bowels properly and would require adjustment in the medication. Normally there should be no or very little distention if more than two weeks have passed since the obstruction episode. Its not entirely correct to term the vanishing of distention as the last stage of recovery. Try to avoid spicy complex food, meats etc and include lots of fiber in your diet with adequate fluid intake. Fruits and vegetables should be preferred. o not complicate them by following complex regimens. Take 5 small meals a day with high fiber and low fat ingredients. Try to avoid cola, caffeine and over processed foods and avoid night time eating especially near bed time. Finish all your meals at least 3 hours before you go to bed. Keep a diet diary to register your daily routine for it to make a habit out of it and to see how you respond to the routine.

Avoid medications like opioids that can cause constipation. Your aim should be to avoid constipation by regularizing your daily routine w.r.t meals and exercise( brisk walk for 20 minutes at least). A PPI should also be added to the regimen to counter any associated dyspepsia.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 16 hours later
Is Ginger Ale OK -?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, Ginger ale is fine

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Yes, Ginger Ale can be taken in moderate amount. Its OK to use in your case.

Let me know if there is any other query.

Thanks.

Dr. M.S.Khalil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 7 hours later
Sorry to string this out - I am now 17 days removed from the hospital - but now that i am more sensitized to the health issue - i believe i have had the distended issue for some time prior to the hospitalization -
I did move the bowels today - and i am passing gas periodically throughout the day - still distended.
I am told hummus is OK - can i eat that with the pita bread?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pita is fine. Not in favor of Hummus.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Sir, you may ask as many questions that you would like to feel satisfied. I am at your service.

I have nothing against PITA BREAD. You may take that but I would advise against Hummus as it can contain garlic, lemon with salt and may worsen the distention symptoms. If its without the spices and the contents described, I would be much less worried.

Thanks.

Dr. M.S.Khalil

As i look down on my stomach - still moderately distended - but on my right side almost on line with the belly button there is a little protrusion - is this distension?
Is this possibly where the blockage is - although i am passing gas and moving bowels - this morning was an OK amount - just doesn't all come out in one sitting -
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more info

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Hope you have been feeling better.

The protrusion that you described could be a paraumbilical hernia or simple uneven distension. Though I would not conclude a diagnosis based alone on this history.

Is the protrusion persistent or does it subside after sometime ?
Does it improve with passing flatus ?
Is there any spasmodic pain associated with that area of protrusion ?
Could you upload an image of the protrusion you described ?

Thanks.

Dr. M.S.Khalil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 45 hours later
I have had 3 mornings in a row where my bowel movements are solid and i have been passing gas as well - mild discomfort at night but very mild -
Would you consider this a good sign the obstruction is resolving?
I am on day 21 since being released from the hospital.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good signs, indeed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

These signs are encouraging. It means that the obstruction has most likely resolved. However , there should not be any gross distention of the abdomen if your bowel movements are present and your passing gas. You may ask your doctor to advise an Ultrasound of the abdomen /pelvis to look for any free fluid in the peritoneal cavity / ascites that could be responsible for the distention /swelling.

Thanks.

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 days later
I have had a few good days in a row - this morning i moved a good amount and passed gas all day - but the distention just persists - unfortunately i am on travel until XXXXXXX 2nd - i will make an appointment on Tuesday for the following Tuesday for the ultrasound and try to see why the distention won't go away.
Is this something i should cancel my business trip for?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can go ahead with the trip

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

If you are having normal bowel movements passing gas/flatus and there is no associated abdominal pain then I see no reason why you should cancel your trip. Its good that you have scheduled for an ultrasound. This will make the picture much clearer. You may share the ultrasound report with me when its available. Have a great trip !!!

Thanks.

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil