• question-icon

How long foot drop takes to cure?

Posted on Mon, 28 Jul 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: I HAVE DROP FOOT. HAD BACK SURGERY ON THE DISC, EASED BACK PAIN BUT DIDN'T UNDO DROP. NOW THE FOOT TINGLES ON THE BOTTOM AT TIMES AS IF I WERE WALKING ON PEBBLES, AND THE LEG TINGLES WHEN I TOUCH IT, LIKE PUTTING LOTION ON IT. IS THIS NORMAL?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it may take longer time to recover

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have studied your case.
It may take longer time to recover from foot drop.
Usually it's neuropraxia which may take 3 -6 month s to recover.
Don't worry about it. Continue wearing brace. Methylcobalamine will help in early recovery.
I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions please feel free to ask. I will be happy to answer your question. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 19 minutes later
It has been at least 5 years since the drop foot started, 2 years since the surgery. What I am concerned about is the feeling like walking on pebble and the tingling when I touch the leg. That became worse the last couple of months.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 37 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is neuritic symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I have studied your case

This is neuritic symptoms due to nerve injury and self repair mechanism.

If symptoms persist for long time then you may need neurotropic medication like pregabalin with methylcobalamin consulting your doctor.

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon