question-icon

How long does the effects of "Haloperidol IMI"take to wear off?

Posted on Fri, 14 Mar 2014
Question: Is it possible to give an estimate as to how long it would take for the effects of 0.5 mg of haloperidol IMI to wear off in an elderly, frail patient? Or is this too simplistic a question to be answered?
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh (45 minutes later)
Brief Answer: 8 to 10 hours, at the most 12 hours. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Considering the physical condition of the patient and the dose of 0.5 mg given intramuscularly, I would expect the effects of haloperidol to completely wear off in around 8 to 10 hours after injection. The main side effects that are likely are sedation and extrapyramidal side effects like increased salivation, tremors etc. If you notice that sedation persists more than 12 hours after the injection, then it would be highly unlikely to be related to haloperidol. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry
Dr. Preeti Parakh

Addiction Medicine Specialist