How long does the ankle swelling to subside ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I had a blood clot in my leg went to my lungs doing much better will like to know how long does it take for the swelling in my ankles to stop
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Usually 4-6 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
In around 60% patients of blood clot in the legs the swelling decreases in 4-6 weeks. This depends on the severity of the problem and the response to the treatment.
You can wear a compression stocking to decrease the swelling. These should be custom fitted, i.e. your leg should be measured to find a stocking that fits well. It needs to have a certain compression pressure, 35 mm Hg (mercury) at the ankle, 25 mm Hg at the mid-calf, and 18 mm Hg just below the knee. This is also sometimes called a “grade 2” stocking.
Elevation of the legs above the level of the heart while resting or sleeping is also helpful. Normalization of weight may also improve the symptoms. Moderate exercise immediately after the acute DVT (i.e. in the first 4 weeks) is also not harmful and improves the blood circulation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal