question-icon

How long does tail bone injury take to heal?

Posted on Wed, 11 May 2016
Question: I fell on valentine's day and bruised my tailbone how long till it heals...
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Bruise of tail bone takes 4 weeks to heal

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. Sorry to hear about the bruise in the tailbone which is also called coccyx bone. Hope you are not having much pain.

2. Falling and hurting on the tailbone is a common injury and healing time depends on the severity of injury.

3. In your case there is bruise in tail bone and this might take a month to heal. More severe injuries can take 3 months for good healing. Rarely a person might experience slight pain in the tail bone region for a longer duration. Please use a doughnut cushion to sit, it will make you comfortable.

I hope you recover in 2 weeks time. Wishing you a quick recovery.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist