How long does shingles take to heal?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: TWO AND A HALF WKS AGO I CAME DOWN WITH SHINGLES. THE PAIN AND RASH GO FROM MY LOWER BACK, DOWN MY LEFT BUTTOCK AND ENDS UP AT MY VAGINA. VERY PAINFUL. MY GYN CHECKED TO MAKE SURE NONE HAD ENTERED MY VAGINA. I AM OK THERE. MY PRIMARY CARE GAVE ME VALCYCLOVIR TO TAKE FOR 7 DAYS (HAVE FINISHED). HOW LONG IS THIS RASH AND PAIN GOING TO LAST? I HAVEN'T KNOWN ANYONE WHO CONTRACTED SHINGLES PN SPECIFIC LOCATION I HAVE. WHAT CAN I EXPECT? I AM USING LIDOCAINE ALSO
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rash can last 3-4 weeks, pain can last longer

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
I have gone through your complaints and understand your concern.
Rash in shingles can last upto 3-4 weeks and pain can last longer.
In few persons it takes even 6 months to 1 year to go off completely.
For pain I would recommend you to take tablet tramadol 50 mg twice daily and take tablet gabapentine 300 mg twice daily.
These will relieve your symptoms.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
As far as your site is concerned it is a common place for shingles to occur.
I have seen many patients with shingles occurring at this site.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D