How long does shingles pain take to resolve?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Is it normal to have pain after the rash of shingles goes away ?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is normal to have pain for few weeks after shingles rash disappears

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to HCM.

The pain of shingles can persist for few weeks after the rashes disappear. This is because shingles affects the dorsal nerve roots and due to infection the pain can be felt for up to 2 months in most patients.

Your doctor has correctly prescribed Lyrica which contains Pregabalin, a nerve pain relief medicine.

Rarely pain after shingles might persist for longer than 2 months.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee