• question-icon

How long does recovery take from upper respiratory infection?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have taken paracetamol fr years but I have an upper respitory virus and it seems to make me very breathless. How long will this go on and will it teturn to normall
?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please consider visiting your GP...

Detailed Answer:

I wasn't able to figure out your age and if you have had previous medical illness involving heart, lungs or kidneys. It would be useful if you can provide those details during follow up.

As far as your current symptoms goes, viral infection involving upper respiratory tract generally doesn't cause significant breathlessness unless infection involves lower respiratory tract (pneumonia) or you have an another condition triggering breathlessness.
Do you feel breathless at rest or does it occur with accustomed work?
Besides breathlessness what other symptoms do you have?

Paracetamol alone will not make breathing difficulties better. You may need other medication depending on the cause. I recommend you visit your GP for further evaluation.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 6 hours later
I have visited Dr twice - she diagnosed problem and said to take paracetamol but it is the paracetamol that seem to cause the breathlessness as a side effect. I wondered if this was possible? She has now prescribed codeine. Chest clear, blood oxygen 92.7, temperature normal. Pulse a little slow.

Your view would be welcome.

I am 75 by the way and usually active and healthy.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Paracetamol doesn't cause a breathing difficulty...

Detailed Answer:
Apologies for the late reply. I shall present my reply as follows:

1. No, paracetamol doesn't cause breathing difficulty unless some one has a severe drug reaction which is extremely rare.

2. Blood oxygen saturation levels are checked at rest. So I assume you are not breathless at rest. This alleviates some of my worries about the illness.

3. In the background of viral URI, codeine is prescribed when some one has cough due to its cough centre suppressing action. Do you also have cough with the breathing difficulty? Can you elaborate your symptoms? How long have you been suffering?

4. Did the doctor order blood test and X-rays? I would have done these if you had been my patients.

I need specific answers to my enquiries to help you further. Since you been healthy and active in the past with no previous medical illness, at this point I am positive that you can be treated.

Dr. Prasad