• question-icon

How long does recovery from tinnitus take?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: hi my mother got herpes zoster in her left ear 25 days ago and was detected with XXXXXXX hunt syndrome due to it and tinnitus sound started in left ear . she was on wysalone 60mg reducing to 5mg for 21 days and acyclovir 800mg for 10 days. now both stopped. can you suggest how much time will tinnitus sound take to go and how it can be managed . the ent says to stop wysalone whereas our family physisian say continue 10mg for more 20 days. what should be the further line of action.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
21 days is enough duration.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

In XXXXXXX hunt syndrome,steroids needs to be taken for 1-2 weeks.So,21 days duration is enough.Symptoms may continue even for months and in some cases full recovery may not be there.So,persisting tinnitus is not an indication for continuing steroids.

Hopefully tinnitus will improve with time.Keep following up with your ENT specialist.

Hope that helps.If you have some further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later

please advice what is the normal time period for herpes virus etilogy.

a recent visit to neurologist prescribed gabapentin 3 times a day.does gabapentin in any help in regeneration of nerves affected due to herpes or is it just for reliving the pain as the pain is easily managed by taking ultracet. she felt drowsiness and heavyness on taking gabapentin.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
May continue gabapentin for sometime.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Gabapentin is primarily given for neuropathic pain. So, its better option than ultracet in this condition.Drowsiness will hopefully improve in a few days.If possible,this medicine may be continued.

Hope that I have answered your query.If you have some further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up else please close the thread,rate it and write a review.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist