How long does pain last after tooth extraction?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I had an extraction 2 weeks ago and around the extraction site is a white ring accompanied with pain and what feels like a fever in that remote spot. I can barely eat anything because of the severe pain I endure while I eat. Help me
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
need to see dentist

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
I can give you some ideas about how to deal with the pain, but this much pain after an extraction is not normal. You need to see your dentist and see if there is an infection or other complication that is causing you so much pain.
If you have no reason that you cannot take a medication like advil or aleve you can try taking those combined with tylenol for pain. For example 400mg of ibuprofen every 4 hours alternating with 1000mg of acetaminophen every 8 hours.
Sucking on ice cubes may help relieve some of the pain. Eating cold foods like milkshakes or smoothies may help you get in some calories without having to chew and worsen the pain.
The real key to this is to find out what has gone wrong that is causing so much pain. See your dentist soon.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Robinson