How long does pain and bleeding continue after miscarriage?

Dr. Jasvinder Singh

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I had a miscarriage (6 weeks) and I took misoprostol 600 mg vaginally on thursday 6/2 at 8:30 pm and in the early morning of friday 6/3 I passed some tissue. I was ok on friday and saturday. On Monday the pain in my abdomen and in the back started and I still have the pain. I am taking 600 mg Ibuprofen every 8 hrs for the pain. I see blood in the urine. I have period like bleeding. I dont have fever or dizziness or nausea. The ultrasound was done on Monday and it showed that I passed everything out.
The worry I have is about the pain and bleeding. How long is this going to continue? Do I need to get any other tests done to make sure that I passed everything and nothing is left behind and I dont have any infection.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Usually when doing a medical abortion, it is advisable to take mifepristone pill orally. Then 24 to 72 hours later, you take the second medication, misoprostol. Misoprostol causes contractions resulting in a miscarriage. When used in combination, mifepristone and misoprostol are 95-97% effective and result in miscarriage.

If the ultrasound has shown that the uterus has emptied then it means that the abortion is complete. However there is a chance of small retained products of conception or tissue which may be retained and hence it is advisable for you to get a pelvic examination and a slight curettage done to remove any such small retained tissues. These retained products may be responsible for the pain or causing infection which may cause pain.

It is normal to have some pain and bleeding which continues for some days after the abortion procedure which continues for 2 weeks. But if the pain is severe that you are not finding relief even after taking Ibuprofen, then it needs to be examined by a gynecologist. First of all any retained products should be ruled out and secondly postabortal syndrome also needs to be ruled out. In this, there is closing of the cervical Os which causes majority of clots and blood to get retained in uterus causing severe cramping and following evacuation of the uterus. This also requires a pelvic examination and dilatation and curettage or suction evacuation from a gynecologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.