question-icon

How long does nicotine stay in the body after smoking?

Posted on Mon, 25 Jul 2016
Question: I have been accepted for a new job, but I must pass a drug test including testing for nicotine and/or cotinine. The test is either the 18th or 25th of this month(I'm unsure of whiche exactly). I tend to smoke cigarettes quite a bit, but have only had a few the past few days. If I quit today, could I possibly pass the test? Is there anything I can take or drink to help flush my system? It's just the cigarettes I'm concerned about. I don't do any type of drugs.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
If it is a urine test, then quitting right away will ensure a positive test

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

If it is a urine test, then you will pass as 10days are largely sufficient for you to get a negative nicotine test after cessation. However, it takes more than 90days for a hair test to become negative. So, whether positive or not largely depends on the exact test to be done. Congrats on winning a new job. Now, get the record straight.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask of more information and clarifications if need be.
Dr. Ivo Ditah