How long does mild diarrhea last while on an antibiotic?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I'm becoming a real nuisance. I've had food poisoning for about a week now, but am still having very mild diarrhea. How long do you think this should last? I drank liquids and semolina for 2days, then broth and gradually some food.
I've also been taking an antibiotic for cellulitis, which I,ve had for a very long time, but was never diagnosed until recently. When the antibiotic is finished, but I still have the symptoms of cellulitis-but to a lesser degree-what do I do next? Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Advice to take probiotics

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HCM

The persisting diarrhea you are experiencing is unlikely due to food poisoning, but ratger the side effect of antibiotic you took recently. Include probiotic rich food in your diet like yogurt. You can also take over the counter probiotic.

Regarding the cellulitis- Keep a watch on whether the symptoms are decreasing in next 24 hours
If the symptoms do not decrease or worsens, follow up with your primary care provider or urgent care. You will need a blood culture and take antibiotics for longer duration or switch to another antibiotic depending on culture results.

Hope this answers your question
Please let me know if you need further clarification
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad