How long does it take to recover from strep throat and swollen lymph nodes?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My 14 year old daughter had strep throat in February along with swollen lymph nodes and extreme tiredness. She was put on amoxicillin. As of today, she is still not herself. Still Complaining of tiredness and her neck still hurts in the back near spine. Is this normal?

Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Swollen lymph nodes and musculoskeletal pain can gives hurting neck.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Swollen lymph nodes and musculoskeletal pain can gives such hurting neck. Usually within 3 days of therapy with amoxicillin you can see improvement in strep throat.

Give her more warm fluids. Taking warm chicken soup with pepper and lemon tea will be helpful. You can also give her chewable vitamin C.

Ibuprofen (motrin) or paracetamol will be helpful for the hurting neck. You can apply mild hot fomentation also.

If throat is not improving then approach your GP for change of antibiotic. In such case you may need to change to azithromycin.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Nishad BN