How long does it take to recover from aspiration pneumonia?

Posted on Wed, 15 Apr 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: My father is diagnosed with subdural hygroma in fronto parietal region and frontal region with mild mass effect causing midline shift of 5mm. The Doctor has told us no surgery is required.The patient is feeling tired all the time and has sleeping troubles. He was in ICU for aspiration pneumonia for 15 days and dischrged now. wat will be the approximate recovery time for his condition? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Recovery would take a few weeks.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your father's symptoms and CT brain scan findings.

I agree that no surgery is needed.

Recovery would occur in the next few weeks. Older people take a bit longer to recover.

Please keep stimulating him, with music through head phones, trying to talk to him, making him watch TV, etc. Do not let him sleep during the day so that he sleeps during nights.

If needed, he may be given a mild dose of sleeping pill at night.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist