How long does it take to recover from a herniated disc surgery?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question:
Hi.

I had a Herniated Disc in late september 2017. Extensive motor control losses in triceps. Continued improvement in strength. Minor to no improvement in reflex.

I’m an elite level rock climber. Right handed, and it has significantly impacted my life.

Would you consider multi level replacement? There are many options. Do you have an opinion on what is best for me?

How long does it take for full recovery after surgery? A Percutaneous Endoscopic cervical discectomy  was recommended, but there appear to be few surgeons that perform this procedure.

I've attached two MRI's.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can get surgery too

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and report and understand your concern.
There is disc protrusion at multiple cervical levels with root compression at some levels.
If you are having improvement with conservative treatment and physiotherapy then you can wait for sometimes.
Microsurgery for disc is very successful and recovery ia fast with improvement within few days in pain. Full recovery may take weeks to few months. If you are not satisfied by the pace of improvement with conservative treatment then you can go ahead with surgery too.
Hope you found the answer helpful.Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng