How long does it take to recover from a broken humerus midshaft bone?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 3 Jul 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: hello dr,
I slipped outside a mall around two weeks back and fractured my left humerus midshaft bone.Dr has put me on cast for 3 week, after casting pain is almost gone on fracture place, but i am very much in discomfort due to casting.How much time it take for the recovery? And how soon i can join office as i am in touring job i stay out for around 12-15 days in a month.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
needs to be fixed by implant

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history and the attached Xray in detail.

You have a complete displaced fracture of the shaft of humerus bone and I wonder why have you been put on cast.If you were operated by fixing the fracture with a humerus interlocking nail,you would have been up and working in your office by now.

Putting you on only cast will unite the fracture very slowly (6-8 weeks or even more) or there are chances that the fracture may not unite at all.This happens due to movements at the fracture site while you are in the cast.

But once you put in a Rod/nail ,the whole thing comes together and the fracture starts uniting faster.Moreover,there is no need of a cast once you put in a implant.You can move your arm the very next day after the surgery.

I would suggest you to talk to your doctor about this.Continuing with this cast will take another 3-4 weeks for recovery and carries chances of fracture not uniting.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 2 hours later
Hello dr
i have uploaded latest xray done an hour back, my dr said there is improvement and another xray after 2 weeks.
FYI my casting was done on 06/01,

regards
Anshul sahni
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
dr what are the chances that bone will heal through casting only?? i am little scared for surgery..
regards
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
fracture has become more angulated

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

I have seen the latest Xray.

Even you can make out that as compared to the previous Xray,the fracture has become more crooked and angulated.

Less chances that it will heal in cast.

Even if it heals,it will heal in a crooked manner and your upper arm will be deformed.

Nothing to be afraid of surgery as it is painless once anesthesia is given to you.

My advice -Go for surgery as early as possible without any delay.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana