How long does it take to recover after a hartmann colostomy reversal surgery?
5 to 10 days stay - get well prepared
Thanks for your query.
First of all let me enumerate the factors which will help you to get the best results.
*Correction of Anemia, you need a normal hemoglobin
*Correction of hypoproteinemia. The serum Proteins should be within the normal range.
*Proper bowel preparation, mechanical cleansing with the preparation you will be given and the oral antibiotics.
* Good normal mental status , the positive attitude ( please do not laugh- this helps a lot).
Yes the normal hospital stay can be fro 5 to 10 days.
You can have constipation or diarrhea- this is because the bowel will be subjected to new channelization again as the colostomy will be closed. The nerves can not be reattached as the same way as they were. So no one can predict the way the new nerve pathways will work resulting in either constipation or loose motions.
If you are fit as I explained in the beginning, everything be alright, expect the best outcome. The bowel training and the assistance of the trainers will help you to overcome the smaller problems easily, so do not think about them now. Just think that the Surgery and post-operative period be unevenful.
If everything is alright you can certainly join the work the wounds are healed well, the bowel is well trained and you have sufficient mental and physical strength. This period can be 3 weeks to 3 months.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Problems after colostomy reversal
- Reversal of colostomy
- Colostomy reversal after effects
- Loss of appetite after colostomy surgery
- Imodium after colostomy reversal
- Colostomy problems after surgery
- Bowel movement after colostomy reversal
- After colostomy reversal
- How much colon is needed for a colostomy reversal
- Type colostomy bag after surgery