Ask a Urologist   »  

How long does it take to perform a vasectomy?

Question
I'm having a consult about my upcoming vasectomy with a Urologist next week. I would like to know ahead of time how long that proce!dure normally takes? And will I need pain medicine for a short time afterword? Thank you in advanc
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Vasectomy is a permanent and irreversible method of contraception. Please, make sure you are very certain about this as you seem to be quite young!

How long a surgery takes depends on the operating surgeons' experience. However, it is a minor procedure and should not last up to an hour. I will advise that you do not focus on how much time it takes but rather how well he does it. He can take 10minutes and not do a very satisfying job and for sure that is not what you want. You want a good surgical experience and recovery and not setting a new record for fastest surgery.

Yes, you would need pain medications for about a week after surgery. The pain is often minimal. Also, vasectomy gets fully effective about 2weeks after surgery, so please continue using condoms during intercourse until this time elapses and you get the green light from your doctors.

I hope this helps. I wish you a safe procedure and a quick recovery. Thank you for trusting us with your health query. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.