How long does it take to perform a vasectomy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I'm having a consultation with my urologist Monday for a vasectomy. I was wondering how long the procedure lasts and if you need pain medicine for a short time after the vasectomy is over? Thank You!
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Depends upon experience of operating Surgeon.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have planned to undergo surgery of Vasectomy.

Vasectomy is normally done under local anaesthesia.It takes approximately 30 minutes but this can be reduced if the operating surgeon is doing it routinely.

It is insignificant as far as timing of a surgery is concerned .It is the clean dissection and minimal bleeding during surgery that is important from point of view of recovery .

Normally pain killers and anti inflammatory medications are advised for a period of 5 days with abstinence from intra vaginal sexual unprotected intercourse for 2-3 weeks .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.