How long does it take to lower liver enzymes after alcohol abstinence?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi, I drink too much and last week had a really bad case of diverticulitis that caused me to go into the Doctor.
Of course, they did blood work and i have elevated liven enzymes (not a shocker).
They want me to come in, but I know it will be a discussion about my drinking. So, I'm going to see if I can get those lower before I go back in.
About how long after I abstain from alcohol should i see a drop in the enzyms?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
AST, ALT within days, GGT within weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Recovery after alcohol induced liver injury if in the fatty liver stage or mild hepatitis can lead to complete resolution of the damage. In the further stages of alcoholic liver disease complete recovery may not be possible.

Among the liver enzymes both AST and ALT levels start lowering within 2 to 3 days of abstinence . GGT which is the most sensitive marker of recent alcohol intake in large quantity will lower in at least 4 to 6 weeks.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil