How long does it take to develop cancer from dipping?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Cancer
Question: How long does it usually take to develop cancer from dipping? I am 21 years of age, and have dipped since 18. When started I didn't dip as much, but with stress in college it has progressed from anywhere to 3-6 cans per week. I am also type 1 diabetic, and don't know if that makes the risk higher. I do not drink alcohol.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
There's no such thing as a "safe" tobacco product.
It's been medically proven that long-time use of chewing tobacco can lead to oral cancer.But cancer from chewing tobacco doesn't just occur in the mouth. Some of the cancer-causing agents in the tobacco can get into the lining of your stomach, your esophagus, and into your bladder.
The duration varies for each individual and the severity of exposure ( ranging 5-10 yrs or more. Some may not get it even after 20 yrs but it doesnt mean its less risky.There are people who get cancer even with 1-3 years of dipping so it's not impossible .
Considering you are a diabetic your risk is even more since diabetes compromises your body's ability to fight away foreign organisms as well as increases the risk of cancer and heart disorders.
So please do seek medical help as soon as feasible and quit tobacco for a better and healthy future.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.