How long does it take for gastritis to heal caused by symbicort turbo inhaler?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: How long to heal gastritis caused by symbicort turbo inhaler used only for 3 days? I am coeliac and have been on losec 20 mg for 8 years, with no problem, recently had throat infection and was prescribed 500 mg amoxicillin 3 x per day, then the inhaler, as after 7 days still had tightness in throat/chest. No previous history of asthma. After a few days developed severe gastritis and stopped inhaler. That was 9 weeks ago and despite several ppi's still suffering
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: if due to inhaler should have healed by now Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic If your symptoms are related to gastritis that was solely due the inhaler, it should have resolved by now since the inhaler was discontinued 9 weeks ago and it was used for only 3 days. Since the symptoms are still severe after this extended period of time then it makes more likely that there are other factors affecting you. You may want to review if there have been any dietary changes that may be aggravating your stomach. As you would know, for GERD and gastritis it is normally recommended that persons reduce the use of any fried/fatty/acidic/spicy foods, use small meals, wait 2 hours after eating before reclining and weight loss if there is any excess weight. If the above is not likely an issue then you may want to a consider a blood test for H pylori. This is a bacteria that worsens gastritis or reflux symptoms. If this bacteria is present then you would need a 2 week course of 2 antibiotics combined with reflux medications. If the bacteria is not present and the symptoms remain severe then your doctor may consider endoscopy to take a look into the esophagus and stomach. This would determine if there is an ulcer present. I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 41 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. Sorry I should have given you more information. Initially my GP thought it was gallstones. Had ultrasound which was negative for gallstones. They said I have fatty liver. Also had an endoscopy, which showed the gastritis. Had bloodwork done, all fine. Negative for heli-p in both blood test and biopsy. All well with coeliac, as stick to gluten free diet 100%. Been on Lansoprazole 30mg bd for weeks, as GP thought Losec had stopped working. Then on Nexium 20mg bd, but after 5 days, severe dizziness, so that was stopped. Since then the Ranitidine. Have eliminated coffee, alcohol, (did not use very much anyway), spicy food, fried food, fizzy drinks. Been trying to stick to bland diet. Only other change was my prescription changed from Losec mups to Mezzopram, which is a cheaper brand of Omeprazole. This happened Just about 5 weeks prior to onset.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 hours later
Brief Answer: may need combination therapy Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for the info In chronic gastritis there is chronic or persistent inflammation of the stomach lining. Since infection has been ruled out and you are already using the recommended diet other causes must be considered. Other possible causes of persistent gastritis would be: (1) autoimmune gastritis- in this case antibodies (formed in this case when the body reacts against itself) present (2)reactive chemical gastritis- this is as a result of medication such as aspirin or related to reflux of bile into the stomach.This however is more likely in persons with previous surgery to the stomach. (3)conditions such as crohns, sarcoidosis, allergic granulomatosis, (4) there is also gastritis that can be associated with celiac disease, it is called lymphocytic gastritis. this is more likely if you were not adhering to the gluten free diet (5)in some persons no specific cause can be found It is difficult to understand when there is a failure to respond to therapy. You may need combination of different types of medications that can treat the gastritis from different avenues. This would mean combining the ranitidine with a PPI that you do not experience any significant side effects with or reducing the dose of one you would have used previously (for example nexium once daily combined with the ranitidine) It is possible that since the 2 medications work differently that they may be able to treat your symptoms effectively. Please feel free to ask any other questions