How long does it take for Pepcid to get out of system?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: How long does it take for Pepcid to get out of my system?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In 24 hours almost all of it will be out of your system

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. Pepcid contains famotidine which is a medicine belonging to a histamine-2 blockers and prescribed for acidity.

2. Pepcid has an elimination half-life of 2.5‑3.5 hours therefor in 24 hours more than 98 percent will be out of the system.

3. In approximately 24 hours all of it will be out of the system.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 17 minutes later
Does that drug have any influence on serotonin syndrome? I took a zofran around mothers day...then wind up taking this at clinic ..b/c Zofran did not work
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pepcid does not have any influence on serotonin syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

1. Pepcid does not have any influence on serotonin syndrome. Zofran is known to cause serotonin syndrome.

2. However intake of pepcid might rarely cause sy mptoms including seizures, paresthesia (increased perception), and somnolence (increased sleep). Lethargy, confusion, psychosis, and agitation have been reported rarely in people who take pepcid. These are isolated side effects and not connected to serotonin syndrome.

3. You can safely take pepcid but if you develop any adverse effect then report to your doctors immediately.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 13 minutes later
Ok. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome and thanks for sending your query

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for accepting my reply and I am glad to get an opportunity to help you out with your query.

If you have any health related queries and wish to have it answered by me then please quote "query Id 192722 Kind attn Dr.Vivek Chail" in your query and the moderators will direct the query to me. I will reply back at the earliest.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist