How long does it take Propranolol to work?

Dr. Deepak

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Ive just started to take 80mg of propranolol how long does it take to start working alot of people have said a couple of days even a couple of weeks
Answered by Dr. Deepak 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Effects starts from Day 1

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome to HCM.
Thank you for the query.

I have gone through your query and understand your confusion.
The information you have recieved is bit wrong. The action of Propranolol will start from day one of starting medicine. But the desired effect may take some time ( for ex: if it is given for High BP, your BP won't come down to normal level immediately after taking tablet. It will gradually comes to a control level).
This medication should be started only if the Doctor prescribes it.

Hope this helps.
Take care, Bye.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Deepak 6 minutes later
Wot about for anxcity that's wot Iam taking it for
Answered by Dr. Deepak 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Propranolol is not an Antianxiety medication.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome back.

Propranolol is a Beta blocker. It not an antianxiety medication.
But it is given to decrease tremors, increased heart beat etc that are seen when the patient is anxious. You will start to see some improvement with these symptoms within a week of starting propranolol.
If it's not helping you should consult your Psychiatrist for change of medications.

Hope this helps.
Follow up: Dr. Deepak 2 minutes later
So it does take about a week for it to start helping me
Answered by Dr. Deepak 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Yes. It will take some time to see the effects.
Do not worry about all the misleading info you get over internet.
These medications will help you for sure.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Deepak 3 minutes later
Can citolapram stop working as Iam thinking of changeing them but after ten years it's so freighting will the propranolol alone help me with my panic and able me to get on with things
Answered by Dr. Deepak 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult Psychiatrist.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Citalopram is an Antidepressant which is also found to be effective in treating Anxiety. If it is not helping you much, your doctor will put you on alternative medicines like Escitalopram or Fluoxetine. Kindly consult your treating Psychiatrist and discuss these issues.
Stopping it all of a sudden can pose problems. You need to taper the dose since you are on this medicine for last 10 years.

The effect of Propranolol increases when given in combination with drugs like Citalopram. But if used alone it may be beneficial to you to relieve your panic attacks.

Hope I have cleared your doubts.
Follow up: Dr. Deepak 2 minutes later
If I take a new antidepressant will I get the same side affects I did when I first started the citolapram or will my body already be use to the medicine
Answered by Dr. Deepak 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discussed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Each drug has its own unique property and side effects. It is very difficult to say whether you will face the side effects or not.
But I can say one thing. Since you are using it for a long time, even if you get side effects with new drugs it will be mild. You probably won'y experience full fledged side effects.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Deepak 37 minutes later
Do u think changeing my meds would be ideal or stick with the propranolol until it starts to work
Answered by Dr. Deepak 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult with your Psychiatrist

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

You need to discuss these issues with your doctor.
It is not possible (also unethical and against our corporate policy) for me to change your medicines without examining you.
Again I would like to mention that Propranolol alone may not be much useful to you.
Hope this helps.
Bye.