Owl Image

How long does it take Nystatin to start effect on thrush?

Question
I currently have thrush and I am on Nystatin .. how long before it starts to work?
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
2-3days

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this thrush that you have reported. It takes 2-3days to start having real noticeable changes while on treatment. This is greatly influenced by the severity of the disease condition. Please, it is applied directly on the thrush and not swallowed. Make sure you hold it for a while in the mouth before swallowing for best action. If this is not improving after a week, see your doctor for review. You may need more potent drugs like fluconazole for proper treatment.

Please, remember to rinse the mouth after taking inhaled steroids as failure to do so is the principal reason why asthmatic patients develop asthma.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.

Follow-up: How long does it take Nystatin to start effect on thrush? 2 hours later
Hello Dr. Ditah;

Thank you so much for responding :) Sounds like I might need to go back to the Doc earlier than I thought. Haven't seen much improvement. I had a VCD exam late Tuesday and that is how they found the thrush so wonder if it is further back in the throat :( Can thrush cause dry mouth and irritated throat and ears??

Thank you for your time; XXXXXXX :)

Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up question.

Thrush can cause dry mouth and irritated throat alongside difficulties swallowing. If you have real difficulties swallowing, then it signals that it involves the esophagus and requires aggressive medical intervention. In this case fluconazole is the preferred drug unless their practice guidelines suggest otherwise. Esophageal involvement takes a little longer for symptoms to start resolving, say a week.

As for irritated ears, this is unlikely in the case of thrush.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to keep the discussion going on if need be.