How long does femur bone take to heal?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: my email address is YYYY@YYYY
I had a needle biopsy done on my left femur about 4 weeks ago. The pain persists to this day. Is this normal
I am taking oxycodone-acetaminopen 5-325 tabs one every six hours as needed but the pain persists. Is this normal or is there somethingelse I can be doing. I have neoropath and have a hard time walking so exercise is out of the question.
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait 2-4 weeks if there is no fever, redness, swelling or discharge...

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic.

Normally healing of long bones take 6-8 weeks, but it may vary between different individuals and depends upon multiple factors like blood supply, nutritional state, essential minerals requirements etc.

Since bone biopsy is not as invasive as major surgeries or fractures, it takes lesser time normally, but in my clinic I usually advise patients to wait and see response till 6-8 weeks.

The dangerous signs to consult a doctor immediately are:
1. Persistent fever
2. Increasing swelling or redness around the site
3. Increase in the severity of pain gradually
4. Any puss or discharge from the biopsy site

In absence of these you can wait and watch for two more weeks, and if still persists then consult your doctor. Meanwhile keep using pain medicines as prescribed by your GP.

Hoping you a speedy recovery. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad