• question-icon

How long does esophagus damage caused by smoking take to heal?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Cancer
Question: How long does it take for the esophagus to heal due to smoke inhalation? I was in a fire in 2004. It still hurts to breathe in the winter, if I'm out to long. It also hurts at other times.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is unlikely to be due to smoke inhalation

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Smoke inhalation can cause esophageal irritation but unlikely to persist for so long. If it was serious injury then scarring may be there which can cause these symptoms. From your description I am unable to assess the severity of injury at that time. But probably it was not so severe.

So we should rule out more common causes like reflux esophagitis. An upper GI endoscopy should be able to diagnose it (or any other cause) properly.

Hope this helps.
regards
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 15 minutes later
I was in critical care for about a week. The doctor had to put me under, stick a tube down my throat. Told me I would make it or I would not.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Then it was severe

Detailed Answer:
But the esophageal injury might not have been severe. May be it was more of lung injury, as expected in smoke inhalation.

A chest radiograph and lung function tests should help in assessing current lung condition. If required, some inhalers may be administered.
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist