How long does esophageal cancer take to grow in the esophagus?
My father was diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer in January of this year. In September of 2015 he had an upper GI endoscopy done as well as a colonoscopy done and was given the all clear. The reason for this is his primary Dr wanted to have it done then due to a low iron level and that she thought he may be bleeding internally. After the all clear he was given iron pills.
His charts also showed his past of GERD, as well as Acid Reflux. I know there is no way to really know how fast it would grow in the esophagus however every medical professional I speak with (out of the office) hints to us that it doesn't seem right to them. Is it possible that 4 months prior he had no signs of anything growing in his tumor and he was having problems swallowing at the beginning of December?
The growth rate can vary from individual to individual
Hi! Welcome to Health Care Magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.
First of all, it is sad to know what you and your father had to go through. Based on the history you have shared, it seems improbable though, as GI Endocopy is a very accurate test. Everything is directly being visualized in camera in the course of endoscope through esophagus, stomach and intestine. So it is very unlikely to miss some thing as straight as that. Everything suspicious is reported and if seen, sampled for biopsy so if they had not sent anything suspicious for biopsy so it is possible that they hadn't seen any such lesion at that time.
Other possibility is that it grew within 4 months up to grade 4 which is also a rare incidence but it may be the real case. As adenocarcinoma can grow faster than squamous one, and such rapid course can be a possibility. This is indeed so sad but I am afraid that this might be the actual truth.
Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- How to swallow food after diagnosed with esophageal cancer
- How long left esophageal cancer
- How fast does esophageal cancer spreads
- How long will i live after chemo stops for esophageal cancer
- How does esophageal cancer progress
- How long does a person live with esophageal cancer and metastatic brain cancer
- Esophageal cancer spread to brain how long to live
- How long will chemo stop esophageal cancer spreading
- Esophageal cancer spinal metastases how long will he live
- How fast does esophageal cancer grow
- Suggest treatment for UTI post urinary catheterization?
- Suggest treatment for cough during consumption while treating bulbar palsy
- What causes burning feeling in underarm with painful tiny bumps?
- Suggest treatment for pain in shoulders, upper arm and back
- What causes irregular heart beat on exertion in a person post cardiac...
- Suggest treatment for bleeding from gums
- Suggest treatment for the pain associated with post-herpetic neuralgia
- What does persistent nasal bleeding indicate?
- What causes Raynaud's phenomenon?
- What causes chronic heaviness under left rib cage and shortness of breath?