How long does diarrhea take to resolve?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had a bout of rather severe diarrohea which lasted for a week - the pathology came back negative. It is not as bad now, but my stools are still very soft and I was wondering how long before things return to normal please as I have to travel in a week's time.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Brief answer.....take probiotics and hydrate yourself well
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your concern.
Generally diarrhoea are viral in nature and tend to become all right in a weeks time.
Negative pathology and diarrhoea becoming all right clearly confirms that it was a viral diarrhea.
Your stool will progressively become all right in course of next 5-7 days.
You would be all right before your travel.
Just take plenty of water,coconut water and lemon water.
This would take care of your hydration as well as electrolytes.
In addition take probiotic like VIZYLAC or any lactobacillus preparation twice a day for next 5-7 days.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 minutes later
Thank you for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 minute later
You are most welcome to ask any query any time.
Thanks