How long does costochondritis last?

Dr. Baranidharan Kuselan

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I was wondering how long costochondritis lasts?
Answered by Dr. Baranidharan Kuselan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
One to two weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
Thanks for posting in HCM.
I am Dr.Barani and I am pleased to assist you.

If it is a simple costochondritis without any swelling, the condition usually last for about a week or two. You can take Aleeve as suggested by your doctor.

If it is associated with swelling as in Teitze's syndrome, it may last for a few months.

Dr.Barani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Baranidharan Kuselan 3 days later
I had my follow-up appointment with my pcp following my hospital stay. She gave me costeriods. I have been taking them since monday. I am still been having alot of pain when I use that arm to much. Could this still be the costochondritis or something else all together. I thought most of the pain would be gone by know. I only have 3 more days of steriods left. It was a prescription where each day i take one less pain. I have had this pain for over 2 months now. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Baranidharan Kuselan 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reevaluation

Detailed Answer:
Since it is more than 2 months and you still do not have complete relief I really doubt the diagnosis of costochondritis.

I suggest you consult your doctor again for re-evaluation.

Dr.Barani

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Baranidharan Kuselan 9 minutes later
Should I go to my pcp or a specialist
Answered by Dr. Baranidharan Kuselan 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you may go to the PCP

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Welcome back,

You can Go to your PCP.

Dr.Barani
Follow up: Dr. Baranidharan Kuselan 27 minutes later
I have am appointment on friday. in your opinion should i make sure to bring up any thing
Answered by Dr. Baranidharan Kuselan 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
You can ask your doctor whether it is Teitze syndrome.
You can ask why it has not resolved yet even after 2 months of treatment.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak