How long does cortisone injection stay in body or blood stream?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: HOW LONG DOES CORTISONE INJECTIONS STAY IN YOUR BODY AND DOES IT GO INTO YOUR BLOODSTREAM MOME WAS INTO THE KNUCKLE BONE
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
If the cortisone injection is given in your knuckle bone, then it enters the general blood circulation in a very minor quantity. It gets washed off from the blood within 48 hours but the local anti-inflammatory effect is there for few weeks.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 days later
it is now three weeks since the injection my blood pressure will not settle after the injection it was 210 over 90 after does the also affect mood swings anxiety and panic attacks all of which I am suffering from
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
A single dose of local steroid injection is not likely to cause mood swings or such a sustained high blood pressure. The high blood pressure is more likely to be related to the anxiety that you are having.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.