• question-icon

How long does complete recovery take when on Keppra?

Posted on Thu, 16 Jul 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Hi,
I am on Lexapro 5 mg, Klonopin 2 mg, Keppra 1000mg and solian (100mg, amisulpride). I was on Exitelev before (it's levetiracetam but by Sandoz, a biosimilar). It seems that there are differences between the effect of Keppra and the biosimilar, so my psychiatrist decided to give me Keppra. I've been told that i'll see the benefits of Keppra between 2 and 4 weeks, Now i am in the beginning of fourth week and i can say that there is an important improvement (say 70 % maybe) since last thursday (at the end of the third week). I just would like to know if now i can finally expect a full recovery (a full effect of Keppra) at the beginning of the following week (especially against irritability).
Thanks beforehand XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
expect more improvement in next week.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear XXXXXXX

It good to hear that you have got 70% improvement in less than 4 weeks of taking keppra.

This is some significant improvement. Considering this, there must be more improvement in coming week or so.

If after 4 weeks there is no complete recovery, dose increment can be considered.
(The maximum dose of keppra is 3000mg/day).

Kindly discuss this with your doctor.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist