• question-icon

How long does cocaine remain in the system for a surgery?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi,

I am freaking out because I have a general anastheisa surgery scheduled in approxiately 48 hours and about 48 hours ago I went on a bit of a bender. I drank very heavily (probably 20 drinks over the course of 8 hours) and used cocaine (probably <0.5 grams) over the same time frame. I am a 30 year old otherwise healthy male. What are the risks of going into surgery ~4 days after using cocaine? I have slept, eaten, and hydrated well since using, but I also have a family history of heart problems, although my EKGs always look normal, with the exception of intermittently high blood pressure.

I know that the advice will be to disclose to my doctor, but reasonably speaking what are the risks?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No increased risks if kidney and iiver are fine

Detailed Answer:
hi and welcome.
Yes, you should tell this I anesthesiologist,but most of alcohol and cocaine is evacuated out of body in 48 hours and rest of it should not interfere with anesthesia and surgery if there is normal kidneys and liver function. so you should not be concerned but anyway,this was not good idea. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 29 hours later
Okay, thanks. I actually got sick today (diarreah, slight chills/fever), but this is likely just from stress. I haven't used any alcohol or other substances in close to 72 hours. My doctor is aware of the sickness and monitoring it, but I did not disclose the alcohol/drug use because I felt extraordinarily embarrassed. Do you think the additional sickness is something to be worried about? If the diarreah persists, they said they wouls postpone the surgery, but did not seem as concerned about a slight fever. Just wondering if your opinion changes with that info.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
well.I don't think that drugs intake is related to diarrhea and fever. I still dont think that drugs will affect surgery and anesthesia,but any signs of infections in body,including,fever ,diarrhea or flu is good reason to postpone surgery since anesthesiologist won't allow general anesthesia under these conditions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon