How long does cellulitis on leg take to heal?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: My mother has cellulitis and is taking doxyclycline prescribed by her doctor--the 10 days will end on Sunday. This is on her leg. It has improved but is not totally cured. Still warm and sometimes painful, although not as swollen. Is this normal? How long until it heals completely? Or do we need to go on a different antibiotic if not cured. She is allergic to almost everything. We haven't tried sulfa drugs yet. She has been extremely nauseated on the doxyclycline . 87 years old
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. ecovery from cellulitis in elderly is very slow and may take weeks. Its good the swelling is subsiding and fever has subsided. It means cellulitis is responding to antibiotics.

I would suggest compliance with medications, regular cleaning and washing of wound with soap and water. Apply topical protective cream or ointment over the cellulitis area. Trim toe nails and moisturize the leg. Wear appropriate foot wear to prevent wound contamination and infection.

Nutshell, hang in there, response is slow but there. Just watch out , keep an eye on fever, and other infection signs .

I hope it helps. Take good care of your mother and yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan