How long does a vaginal tear after childbirth take to heal completely?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: HI
Me and my wife blessed with a baby boy on 12th feb 2017. and it was a normal delivery.
Her stiches got shred away on 24th Feb. Do you think it is normal ? what is the normal time for proper healing
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
10 days is optimum time

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

The normal time for stitches may need 7 days (in case of face and scalp) to 15 days (hands and legs). In regard to vagina generally you need 10 days to heal the normal uninfected wound and after than stitches can be removed.

It does not mean that wound has been healed but this is the normal time for stitches to get removed. The complete healing may take almost 12 weeks and meantime you are requested to take care of wound in proper manner while avoiding sex and using antiseptic ointment such as butadiene.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad