How long does a hip fracture take to heal?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I've been having trouble getting the xrays for my Mom's broken hip to the Orthopedist of my choice. He was interested in operating, but time is passing. His nurse said that typically they need to have an operation within 2 weeks. Well, time is flying by and I feel that she has been let down. I believe her fall happened on January 17th.
My question is "How long will she have to lay there in bed with no surgery providing the bone is in place?" She is healthy other than Esophageal Stricture and Dementia. She has good care givers and being protected from bed sores and other skin problems that may arise. She is being well fed and bathed. I do not expect her to ever walk again, but I want to get her out of that bed as soon as possible.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
6-10 weeks for most fractures to heal

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Does she have pain and swelling in the hip region?

Usually when there is a fracture, it must be immobilized in order for the patient to move about.

If there is a fracture if the neck of the femur, such us common in her age group, it must be fixed surgically as it is notorious in not healing without surgical fixation or hip replacement.

If she has an inter-trochanteric femur fracture, then even a boot and bar cast can help it to unite.

It is important to provide her with proper nursing care to prevent bed sores and deep vein thrombosis. Physiotherapy in the form of active and passive leg and knee movements is essential to prevent clots.

Usually fractures take about 6-10 weeks to heal if they are 'in place' and without any interfere in their healing.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 29 hours later
It's now been more than a month since the fracture occurred and although she is under Hospice care they have decided to let her just lay there and dose her with pain meds. If it wasn't for the 24/7 care I have had to hire she wouldn't have much care at all. I think Hospice has let her down and I am planning to change Hospice companies.
When I change companies then she will be under the care of doctors I am already familiar with, but I fear it is too late. I've been trying to get the Xrays to the Orthopedist, but his nurse has too much authority and seems to be interfering. Lets say she hasn't gone out of her way to help.
I believe the fracture is the neck of the femur. Cannot know for sure from the report. Should I be pushing for more interaction, especially Physiotherapy? The 24/7 care I have had to hire are CNA's and I can at least update them about the problem she may have from a blood clot. She does have a Vena (something like that) filter.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Physiotherapy

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, it is important that regular physiotherapy be done to prevent Deep vein thrombosis or clots in the legs and also been sores.

Please do upload her report if you're having, so that I can comment on the facts dealing and approximately how much time this could take. You can simply upload/attach them at the reports section of this web-page,

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 23 hours later
Hopefully, I just sent the report from the XXXXXXX Imaging. I hope I did it correctly.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hip replacement

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the report.

Yes, as suspected, there is a fracture of the neck of the femur.

It would be best to get hip replacement done for her.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana