How long does a broken finger take to heal?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My wife aged about 46 fell down and her right leg little finger(below part got fractured.)It is under plaster now .Can you pleae tell me after how many weeks that plaster will be removed ?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX,
The fracture of base of the 5th metatarsal is called Jone's fracture. If displaced it needs intramedullary screw fixation and cast or cast alone if undisplaced.
The cast needs to be kept in place for at least 6weeks.
Xrays are done prior to removal to check for a proper union of the fracture.
She should do active toes movements which increases the circulation and improves healing.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.