How long does Tofranil stay in the body?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Thank you for attending to my question. Because of insurance complications, I have to switch medications from Imipramine (Tofranil 150 mgs/day) to another SSRI, yet to be determined. My question is, how long will it take to completely flush the imipramine from my system before beginning the new meds? I've received conflicting answers from my PCP and psychiatrist. In other words, how long should I stop taking the imipramine before it is not in my system anymore. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It will take about a week to flush out yes drug.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

I can understand your concern. Tofranil is Imipramine and has half life of about 18-20 hours. If you have just stopped the drug then it will take about a week to get rid of the drug completely. You can start taking a SSRI after that.

Thanks and Take care for