How long does Sertindole take to show effect?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello,
I would like to know if the two weeks to see the effects (even if not full) of a new dosage (4 mg) of Serlect-sertindole (added to 8 mg) mean that after the second week is just the beginning of the new effect, i mean, if it's necessary to wait the two weeks to see the BEGINNING of the new effect,
Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it should be waited

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for reverting back to me.

As we discussed earlier sertindole takes at least two weeks to show positive effects. It means that although positive effect start earlier but the magnitude is so low that most person do not see any significant difference from the baseline. Generally by two weeks most of us can sense the positive changes in symptoms of underlying disorder.

Considering this it is always better to wait for adequate duration, say two weeks. In case you do not wait for adequate time you may feel that medication is not helping although reality remains different due to time factors. This may lead to further increase in dose which may not require. Sometime we decide to discontinue with belief that medication is not helping.
It can be inferred from the above possibilities that we should wait for two weeks before making a change in current treatment regimen provided there are no intolerable side effects.

I do not mean there is beginning off new effect. We can say that person tend to improve over time. It may be for symptoms which already responded partially or symptoms which responded first time after increasing the dose of sertindole.

I hope this clarifies further.
Thanks and regards.