How long does Protopic take to treat dermatitis of the penis?

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Ive been using protopic to treat dermamtitis on my glans and penis.

I have been using for about 9 weeks now. Ive seen improvement but very slow.

Two weeks ago i tried hydrocortisone 1% to the area once a day. During this period i saw rapid improvement after 14 days.

Ive since just gone back to Protopic for safety concerns.

I have a few questions.
1. Does Protopic typicaly take this long to clear dermatitis considering im not yet clear?
2. I was under the impression that Protopic was equivalent to mid strength steroid. Im confused as to why i saw more dramatic improvements with hydrocortisone (a weak steroid)?
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello. You need to continue the Protopic

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome to HCM,

Protopic can take up to three to four months to take full effect so I suggest you continue with that.

Protopic is an immune suppressant drug and not really the same as cortisone.

The problem with using cortisone for too long a time is that it can produce a thinning of the skin to which it's applied.

Please let me know if you need any more information XXXXXXX

Best Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ralph Chambers 21 minutes later
Thank you Dr
I appreciate the feedback. I stopped use of Hydrocortisone after 14 days and have continued with Protopic again (twice a day).
I was just concerned with the amount of time that the Protopic was taking as i didnt realize it could take that long to clear.
14 days (twice a day of hydrocortisone) is not considered unsafe or too long a time of use on glans and penis is it? I shouldnt expect side effects from this duration of use?
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, XXXXXXX no problem there.

Detailed Answer:
Two weeks of using the cortisone cream is fine, XXXX--no harm done there. The Protopic doesn't have the same effect on the skin even if it's used for a few months