How long does Norethindrone take to show effect?

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I have been taking Norethindrone 5 MG since 1/30/17 and I started my period on 2/15/2017 I have been on my period for 5 days now, when will this medication go into effect?
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need more details..

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear and thanks for your query to healthcare magic.

I have read your question carefully but to help you and I will need more details :

Reason you have took Norethindrone?!
Did you have any concern?
Was your cycle regular?

I will be here waiting for your reply.

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 41 hours later
My cycle is to heave and when I do bleed I get faint and about to pass out my doctor said I am losing to much blood and he put me on this medication. I think he would like to do a hysterectomy. When I am off my cycle I have a heavy pursue between my legs and it has been hurting off and on for about one year now and no doctor can tell me the reason for the pain.
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explanation is given below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear again!

If you have used Norethisterone to treat heavy menstrual cycle ,usually it gives effect within the first week of it's use,but vary from the reason of what have caused heavy vaginal bleeding.
Have you done transvaginal scan,are your uterus and ovaries normal?!
Have you done your blood hormones such as,FSH,LH,TSH,are they within normal range?!
Are you anemic,or have low count of red blood cells?
Why your doctor have sad to do a hysterectomy,because you are so young?!

Meanwhile the pain between legs I haven't had any patient with this symptom.
But to relive pain you can take painkillers .

Hope I was helpful and please feel free for further discussion.

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng